Sunday, March 8, 2009
Sock Contest Redux: Name that Dissertation
It's time once again, as it is every hundred posts or so, for me to spread the Hand-knit Sock Love around the world, and so opens my third Sock Contest. If you win, I will knit a pair of socks for you and you will be very very glad to own them.
The rules are a little different this time around, however. The last two contests were simple random drawings. This time, you must work a little for your hand-knits.
1. Please submit, in the comment section below, a title for my doctoral dissertation (which is, in case you're not sure, just a glorified academic paper that gets me a Ph.D if I manage to finish it). Dissertation titles, like most academic journal article titles, should ideally contain the following: a pithy set-up sentence, giving some general information, followed by a colon, followed by a pithy, more specific explanation, relating to the thesis or general topic area.
some examples are
"Graduate Students in Limbo: A Survey of Lackluster Excuses for Non-Completion of Dissertation"
"Holy Knockers: A Comparison of Cup Size in Urban and Rural Housewives"
"Uniform Fetish: The Demographics of Women Who Fantasize about Being Handcuffed, Batoned, and Roundly Kissed"
Some info to get you going on this: I've been working on this piece of shite half-heartedly for several years now, whining and worrying ceaselessly the entire time. My general topic area is rural police departments. The even broader field is Criminal Justice.
Your title doesn't need to follow the above format if it seems too complicated; one sentence will do. The title may reference Criminal Justice, police, my laziness, or all of the above.
Make me laugh if you can.
2. You have until the end of the day, Wednesday, March 11th.
3. Enter as many times as you like!
4. I will choose finalists, and you good folks will vote for your favorite.
5. I will then knit a pair of socks for the winner.
Don't be shy! I really hope to see some entries here!