Saturday, December 6, 2008

...we even flew a little...




I've been waiting for this moment, and it's arrived. Hedgehog had her first flying dream last night. I'm so happy for her!

I think most people have them sometimes, and each person's way of flying in their dreams is as individual as a fingerprint. I also think that flying dreams are symbolic of hope.

I love to fly in my dreams--and it's always the same for me. I flap my arms vigorously to gain loft, and when I have, I can sometimes soar. What a feeling! It's a freedom that I've rarely known in waking life. Sarge tells me that he flies by taking a running start and then tucking his feet up. And now Hedgie, in little girl fashion, says that last night while she was sleeping, she sprouted a tiny set of glimmering wings that she worked a bit with her arms and shoulders; she only gained a tiny bit of loft, a few feet off the ground, but that was a wonderful real feeling.

How do you fly?

7 comments:

Megan said...

Mine are usually of the 'walking on the moon' variety. I take a step and suddenly it is an impossibly long, floaty one...

Hedgie's sounds great!

kylie said...

oh , i've never had a flying dream....

does that make me abnormal?

CSI Seattle said...

It's been a while, but my flying is just like swimming under water. Arms and legs working together, doing what amounts to the breaststroke.

Like Hedgie, I seem to stay close to the ground, 3 to 4 feet maybe.

I'm am curious as to how our flying methods are determined. I suspect that mine may be based on years of actual swimming. Beyond that, I don't know.

Suzanne said...

I haven't had many flying dreams, but the ones I've had are amazing. I'm high, very, very high and I don't have to do anything. I'm on the jet stream and just go with the flow. It really is a lovely feeling, isn't it? The first one I had I was afraid I'd fall, but didn't, so was never worried after that. I was at the park the other day and watched as Canadian geese flew overhead. I envied them. It had been a hard morning and as I watched them I knew I had come to the park for a reason. To witness freedom. And that's what I think flying is.

There's a wonderful movie. I think it's called "Birdie." I'll verify that tomorrow when I talk to Rob. If you've never seen it, please rent it. You won't regret it.

XO

Skeeter said...

My favorite method is the Superman - just point one hand and jump up ... and cruise.

Been awhile tho, can't wait for the next flying dream.

I'm glad that Hedgie enjoyed her flying dream. Everybody should sprout glimmering wings every so often, you know?

Best wishes,

Skeeter

muralimanohar said...

I fly precariously. My flight is powered by my own strength of will, but I am not super strong at it, and am slightly wobbly. I can achieve great heights, though. If I slip, it's like a piece of paper; and I have to grip myself with my mind and steady, to regain my altitude.

Okay, who wants to psychoanalyze that one? :p

Old Knudsen said...

How do I fly? I huff a lot of glue.

Flying in yer dreams mean you can over come anything in life.