God, I love to talk about myself. Any excuse at all. Here's the latest excuse, via our Bob:
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Heard the Pogues live. Woo-hoo!
2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions and will you make more for next year?
No resolutions, ever.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Two dear friends! You know who you are, girls.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Canada, does that count as another country?
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
A doctorate. And another child.
7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
September 11th, as every year since 2001.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Letting go a little of my smothering parenting habits...
9. What was your biggest failure?
Letting the ball drop on our finances! Where did all that damn money go?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Worst bout of influenza of my life. Sidelined me for months. It was frightening.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Hands down, private school for Hedgehog. And her Tae Kwon Do lessons.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Mine, at times.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Mine at times.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Food. And a pair of really nice boots. Just kidding. Food and utilities and credit card bills and tuition and car maintenance and dentist appointments and doctor's appointments and and and...
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The book I'm writing. I'm really, really, really excited about it.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
"Dirty Old Town."
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: Happier or sadder? Thinner or fatter? Richer or poorer?
Sadder, much thinner, richer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
My God-damned dissertation.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Scolding Hedgehog. Although she totally deserved it!
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent Christmas fantasizing about Krampus.
21. Did you meet/date anyone special in 2008?
Sarge, for the 18th time in 18 years.
22. How many one-night stands?
Just one, with a jar of Nutella. I'm so ashamed.
23. . What was your favorite TV program?
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Oprah Winfrey. Well, let's just say that my hatred grew stronger in 2008.
25. What was the best book you read?
"World War Z" and "The Difference Engine."
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
28. What did you want and get?
A more rock and roll body.
28. What did you want and not get?
A new car. I know that's shallow, but it's true.
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
"Velvet Goldmine." It's my favorite film of this and any other year.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 38. And honestly, I don't remember what I did.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Freeing myself from the tyranny of grad school.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
In my imagination? Severus' Innocently Gothic Mistress. In real life? Housewife with a Twist.
33. What kept you sane?
Pills. And lots of 'em.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Need I even answer this?
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
That this country didn't have the testicles to elect our first woman president.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
The parents of Hedgehog's friend.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Quit yer whining and get to work on your dissertation, motherfucker. Do you see a certain theme here?...
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"Coyness is nice, and
Coyness can stop you
From doing all the things in
Life you want to
So, if there’s something you’d like to try
If there’s something you’d like to try
Ask me - I won’t say "no" - how could I?"