Thursday, March 29, 2007

Silk, Cashmere, and Lace

It's an embarrassment of riches over here on State Street. Today the owls brought lace patterns and skeins of purple cashmere and red and olive silk. I spent a good hour in the playground while E played with her pals, alternately staring and staring at my goods, and forcing my friend to feel the sumptuousity of the cashmere. "Go ahead! touch it! It's 100%!" Now I'm in the throes of indecision over which threads and pattern to use for my International Scarf Exchanger. It really goes against all sense and reason how peculiar I become over nice yarn. And to make things even sillier, I already had a secret cache of silks. Now I remove their shroud:



I "invested" in these slowly over the last two years, and have not for the life of me been able to figure out what to do with them. Little sachets? Nah. I did use a few yards of the pearl and lavender to make a tiny tooth bag for E--her first tooth fell out this past week, and rather than relinquishing the precious to the tooth fairy, she wants to keep it safe for herself. I now have a crazy fantasy of a silk ripple afghan. It would only cost, oh, say 1500 dollars in materials...

1 comment:

Jodi said...

What beautiful yarn! I can't wait to see what you end up making with some of it.