Friday, December 7, 2007

Baby Surprise Jacket





Here she is, the BSJ that is my new BFF. I only wish I'd taken photos of it at its weirdest most mystifying stage, when it looks, as variously described, like a "rumpled bath mat" and a "manta ray," the part of the pattern where Elizabeth Zimmerman says "...trust me, and PRESS ON." Once you've folded it, all is revealed. Actually, A could see from the pattern how it was going to fold, and made me a little paper model to show it would work. You know, I really was good in high school geometry, and also the part of the IQ test where you have to make up patterns from individual blocks...but still, even with the paper sweater model, I could hardly see how it was going to work. But work it did. This is a virtuosic pattern. If you need more convincing, read this. I can't wait to try this with all different yarns. I want to adapt the recipe for E. And don't all of you preggies need one for your nascent gals?

4 comments:

Too Little Time said...

I just puchased this pattern and yarn and can't wait to "get to it" as soon as the christmas knitting is out of the way. Has it been adapted to anything other than baby and adult? Chat soon - Karrie

Anonymous said...

It's so freakin nice! Doesn't it look like the baby who wears it will read interesting books (maybe even in other languages) and drink herbal tea from her sippy cup?

Anonymous said...

Wait - I'm not so sure about the herbal tea. Maybe home-grown watermelon agua fresca?

franney said...

That is very much on my to-do list, and yours is just wonderful, i love the wide stripes :o)

Thankyou for your message, you're very organised! I've not even started my markers yet!