Saturday, March 15, 2008

Misty Morning, Albert Bridge



I went on a wonderful date last light with my man A., whom I've decided to nickname Sgt. Pepper here (I find it awkward to call him "A"). We hadn't been out together, just the two of us, since last year around this time when we left E. (who shall henceforth be Hedgehog) with my mother-in-law and went to a bookstore together. At night. Woo! But then when we got there we immediately separated, Sarge to Sci Fi and me to Knitting, then me to Sci Fi by which time he'd already moved on to Military History. By the time I got over to neighboring True Crime he'd left for the magazines. And never the 'twain shall meet. The last really real date was five years ago, a Who concert. Is there something wrong with this picture? I guess it's okay-- we're true homebodies and we like to be in our house cozily. I think Sgt. Pepper's boyhood, spent globe-trotting, tired him out. Although occasionally he will get a wild enthusiasm for day-tripping in the city. I rarely do.

Anyway, this picture reminds me of us, although I've quit smoking and we're not in London more's the pity. But we were at a Pogue's show at Roseland Ballroom last night! We took the subway from Brooklyn and laughed the whole way, after we'd gotten over a bit of stilted transitional conversation about car insurance...the show was like a giant sing-along in an Irish cop bar. We sang along, screamed and cheered, avoided getting knocked over by the drunken careeners, and generally had a fantastic time. We love the Pogues so much. Almost as much as we love each other. The two things seem inextricably linked--the whole history of our relationship is set to a soundtrack, and the Pogues feature prominently in this. The fact that Hedgehog now loves their music all of her own accord makes it that much more meaningful.

I've plugged them before, but if you've never heard the Pogues, and have any inclination at all whatsoever toward Irish music, or think you might, you must at least give them a listen.

So, what music is in the soundtrack of your relationship, past or present? I'd really love to know.

13 comments:

faycat said...

We were going to go to that Pogues show last night! But Josh had to go out of town and did fly back until late last night.

Our past "romantic" music - and by past I mean high school, the first time around - was The Ramones. But now we're all about Magnetic Fields.

Cece said...

Godsmack, Korn, Smashing Pumpkins, Bon Jovi, Ozzy, Def Leppard, Skynard, CCR, and many many others.

Anonymous said...

Wait - Does Hedgehog (today I'm calling Merle "Milky" for reasons that are probably all-too-obvious) know the words to "Fairytale of New York" well enough to regale Grandma TX with it? And would she blanch? Or not bat an eyelash? I'm having flashbacks here to the performance of select numbers from the soundtrack to Hair that you treated your grandparents to... Wish I could have come to Roseland. I've seen the Pogues there twice - always to great effect.

Give my regards to Tejas. Especially if you get near Houston (sniff..)

XO

Allison

Anonymous said...

Oh, wait:

Maybe the Knitters' Poor Little Critter on the Road? Or Transformer?

Allison

Leah said...

Hi Allison! I think Hedgehog's superego is overdeveloped, and she wouldn't do anything "naughty" like that. Too bad, right? Damn. 'Cause I think Gma TX would not be amused, which would amuse me to no end!

Hey, we're actually starting out in Houston, to visit relatives there first before we go to San Antonio. I'll give it a kiss.

Transformer, yay. Don't know the Knitters!

And Faycat, I don't know Magnetic Fields either. But I love that you guys have a high school past. Is anything better than that, and the Ramones--that's romantic.

Cecile--Skynyrd's in our soundtrack too. I like your hard rock romantic soundtrack. That's cool.

Beverly said...

When Neal and I dated the "first time" in the late 80s, he found out I was a fan of Mel Torme and took me to a show. When he got in touch with me 15 or so years later, it was by e-mail with a subject of "I was listening to Mel Torme..." Even though we don't listen to him much now, he's the crooner that makes me swoony about Neal!

Cece said...

Have fun in TX. Perhaps a stop in Ark. would be nice on your drive through. Oh and thanks for purchasing the book. I was wondering who it was. I can tell online when one has been sold, so I was so excited to see that one was. I hope you like it!

Unknown said...

LOL! This post had me chuckling. Gosh...I am trying to remember the last time Jim and I went out on a real DATE?! It has been awhile. Just us two alone. We have done the whole sit at home and watch some TV or movie bit. But after awhile not just for me but for Jim also, it is a bore. We love our home but love when we can entertain together. But, we really love to take off and explore.

But, get us in a bookstore with a cup of java...it is over. We both do the '34-62-12..hike' bump chests and take off to our corners of the store. And then meet up somewhere in the middle to sit down with our stack of books to choose and talk about each to each other.

Ahhhh...those are good times.
Hugs,
Robyn

INNER VOICES said...

it seems right now pat benatar, is our theme. why i dunno, cheese little one is always cranking her albums... it was also the first song that came to my head... "hit me with your best shot"

Leah said...

Beverly--that is really darn romantic! What a sweet story. I can only imagine how you must have felt when you saw that e-mail message! And that Mel is quite a crooner...

Robyn--you make the bookstore date seem really appealing! I'm going to have to reconsider its value. Yeah, it is fun, the coming back together to look over what you chose.

Inner Voices--isn't it funny what kids like to listen to of their own accord? When I was a wee lass, really little, it was either the Beatles, Shaun Cassidy (do you remember him? You might not--you're a few years younger than I am--you're better off not knowing), and Simon and Garfunkel. It's funny when your kid's soundtrack becomes your own, and vice versa. It's destined to happen though, I guess. I can't remember--how old is little little Cheese?

INNER VOICES said...

little cheese is 9. and all rocker... she plays the drums, clarinet, guitar and has some skills on the piano. and now she can even use an acorn cap for whistling.. and she has just found secind gear on her dirtbike. a whole new world has opened up to her!! hahaha..
and yes i do remember cassidy. were any of his songs his own? hmmm... seem to remember him doing alot of cover tunes...

Anonymous said...

Glad you and Hubby had a good nite!

Your Secret Granny!

Leah said...

Hi Secret Granny!

And I.V. (or should we call you Z?), yeah, Shaun Cassidy did all covers of sorta cheesy '50s and '60s songs, but I didn't realize that till I was older. I just liked to stare at his perfect swoopy hair...