Sunday, August 24, 2008

Have and Haven't

I've been wanting to post about this list I've seen hither and yon in the blogosphere--all sorts of weird things you've either done or you haven't.  A few of the items gave me pause--for instance, have you said you loved someone and meant it? I mean, come on, at least you said it to your dad or nanny or an aunt or something, or to Mr. Rogers when you were four.  If you're an adult and haven't once in your life said "I love you" and meant it, well, let me come right out and say what we're all thinking: you, sir or madam, are a sociopath.

Another item was "held someone while they had a flashback."  Hmmm...were they a war veteran, or an LSD veteran? I mean, what? Can I count squeezing my own head when the walls started to breathe courtesy of an unfortunate incident when I was 16? No? Well, then, nope, can't say I have.  

Anyway, I went through the list and dutifully boldfaced all the things I'd done, and then I polled Sgt. Pepper to see what he had and hadn't done.  The results got me reminiscing, and also considering how different we are in some fundamental ways.  Also, it reminded me how cool my husband is.  Here are the highlights:

Sgt. Pepper and I visited Paris together (hardly the first time for him), and because he is fluent in French, I was squired around in style.  Very romantic, a happy memory.  We have both hugged a tree, seen the Northern Lights (together from our dock in the Adirondacks, lighting up the enormous bowl  of the sky on a chilly late-summer night), grown and eaten our own vegetables, watched a meteor shower.  We have both milked a cow, and Sarge has held a lamb, although he has also killed and prepared an animal for eating, an activity to which I myself cannot lay claim.  Unless you count squashing a bug, rolling it around, and popping it into my mouth, which I'm sure I did at least once as a toddler.

We have both kissed on a first date, although funnily enough not on our own first date with each other.  For that one, we drove around late into the night listening to cassettes, smoking, and bitching about our exes.  Also sneaking side-long glances at each other, which of course led to the second-"date" smooch.

We have both read the Iliad, although only I in its original Greek.  Funnily, Sarge is the only one of the two of us who can keep the characters straight.  I always tell him that I was too busy worrying about Homeric Greek grammar to pay attention to plot...yeah, yeah, says he.

We've both been a DJ.  We each of us had a show on our college radio station, before we knew each other.  Mine was classical music.  It was on at 6 am in the morning, and my Greek professor was the only one who listened to it.

Sarge has been in a combat zone.  I haven't, unless you count Brooklyn Cosco on a Sunday morning, badum bum.  OY, what a crappy joke.  

We've both buried a parent, and I've put someone I loved in hospice care.

I've caused a car accident, dyed my hair (most memorably, Ziggy Stardust orange in tenth grade), and broken a bone.

Sarge, that lovely man, has seen a lightning storm at sea and saved someone's life.








15 comments:

The Mistress said...

The Brooklyn Cosco counts.

Anonymous said...

Leah,

Now, to see the Northern Lights - that must've been something!! I'd love to see them one day - and hopefully, one day I will! There are so many things that I'd like to do in my life, I just don't think I'm going to have the time!!

As an aside, I like the way you didn't do the list in a 'normal' way - very refreshing and a nice change!

Have a great week!

Peter

Leah said...

MJ--you're right, except replace machine guns with sharp Russian elbows.

Peter--the Northern Lights are truly amazing. I didn't realize we were far enough north where I am to see them, but there are some pretty spectacular showings as the weather turns colder. I must say it's a little eerie too. But it's one of my top life experiences.

Unknown said...

I am so going to do that list! I love it! But like CSI I am going to add one to make it my own...teehee!
Cheers!

Mr. Shife said...

Wow you and Sarge have done some cool stuff. I was fortunate enough to see the Northern Lights in Alaska and that was truly amazing. And sorry you did not win the country ham. The movie was "Super High Me."

kylie said...

i feel an inferiority complex coming on :)

hope youre doin well
k

Skeeter said...

Hi Leah!

The northern lights are cool. The other stuff sounds like fun too.

Best wishes,

Skeeter

Leah said...

Hi Mr. Shife! I'm glad to see you. And so very sorry about that country ham.

Kylie, I have an inferiority complex to Sarge...

Hi Skeeter! the Northern Lights is probably one of the top coolest things I've EVER seen.

Suzanne said...

You're my hero. Oh, and I laughed really, really hard too. Damn you're funny. No, never seen the Northern Lights. Still waiting. Maybe when I get back to NY and invited to the Adirondacks. Yes, I know, it's an open invitation, and yes, I accept! I'll bring dinner. Don't worry Hedghog, you won't die. Pizza!!!

What an amazing post. I love it. I'm just going to sit here for awhile. How Zen. Dr. P would be proud. Wow, can't believe you have Cosco in Brooklyn. Really?

The planes leaving for France Thursday evening. You and the family ready? If not, stop by the Cafe for details and kick your ass into high gear. Why? Because we aren't leaving without you.

Love you dear friend,
Suze XO

muralimanohar said...

Hey...scary list...makes you think about all that you have, and HAVEN'T done!!

BTW, nominated you for an award on my blog. :p

Suzanne said...

Leah...I don't think we're going to Paris. You and I are the only one's in line. Yey, not funny! I needed this mini-vacation.

Suzanne said...

Yey was supposed to be hey. I'm so tired my fingers won't follow my brain.

Skeeter said...

Hi Leah,

Hope all is going well. Hope to read your next entry soon.

Best wishes,

Skeeter

INNER VOICES said...

new post... new post...new post!!!!


*people standing outside leahs computer chanting*

The Mistress said...

update! update! update!

*joins chorus of chanters*