Monday, May 27, 2013

Nice

I have a sort of running joke with a friend about "nice." The word sounds almost like an indictment. Nice is caught in the compromise of itself: polite and mildly pleasing. Not exciting, nor confronting. Not spectacular. No feeling of soaring or deep soul satisfaction ever really came from Nice.




My photo today is, I think, Nice. Flower pictures for the most part usually are. Yet I persist in taking them, for they are most often the buttery salty smooth mashed potatoes of photography. Nothing wrong with it. Comfort food.

Nice.

8 comments:

nick said...

"The buttery salty smooth mashed potatoes of photography" - what a perfect description. Also of course puzzled-looking toddlers or fast-asleep kittens.

Nice photo, by the way....

Chef Files said...

Nice is how you describe an ugly baby, a tepid coffee or even a spatter of shite fae a magpie as it spoils your new suit.

However, given the choice of hearing 'nice' or that dreadful overworked, totally American, 'awesome' every five minutes, give me nice.

Have a wonderful day.

Leah said...

Nick, thanks!

and hahaha exactly...

Leah said...

Dear Chef,

I highly enjoy the dripping-with-sarcasm use of the word "nice"!

Awesome is a blight on the language, but I do find myself, much to my shame, employing it every so often.

63mago said...

Nice

mapstew said...

Is maith sin. :)

savannah said...

nice is a good word gone bad, sugar! xoxoxoxo

bitchontheblog said...

Nice is a four letter word. Not that that in itself disqualifies itself. But, as you say, 'nice' so bland, so non-committal, so unenthusiastic, anemic. How does the saying go:"If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all". Yeah, well. Don't bank on it.

U